Friday, August 8, 2014

Running with my MIL and ditching the headphones.

My mother in law is visiting :) I was going to go for a run and she wanted to come along but just to walk since I was going to the track. Today was a successful day for several reasons. One being that I successfully convinced my mother in law to run the Disneyland family 5k in May with us :) I didn't think she'd go for it but she said, "Yes! Sounds fun! but only if it's for fun and I can walk some of it." I'll take that is a confirmed YES!

I had another success tonight. Well, I guess it wasn't a success, but I am extremely please with the result and was happy enough to call it a night a little early. So I went to the track to do some drills to strength my psoas muscle and do a few other things. Then I decided to work on my fore foot strike and my foot placement, etc. On my first quarter mile that was just practice with foot placement I did 400 meters in 2:20! So I wondered how well I could do if I was really focussed on it. My goal has been to do 400m in 2:00. So I tried it again and did it 2:04!!! I was content and called it a night! It was also pouring down rain. I was surprised my MIL stuck it out as long as she did in the rain.

One change I've made this week that has helped a lot has been to ditch the headphones! I found that I would run and get discouraged every time a song ended. I'd beat myself up because if a song ended it must have been around three minutes and I hadn't gone very far! So I ditched the headphones and just focus on counting my foot strikes and hearing my feet hit the pavement. It keeps me focused and keeps me from getting discouraged. It has been an amazing change! I didn't think I'd be able to do that because I have OCD and tend to have obsessive thoughts. If I don't have music to distract me I tend to pick something to obsess over until the point of anxiety. Of course, anxiety doesn't help anyone's running. . .
 But I haven't had an issue yet. I think running has also helped me keep my OCD in check. It's been helpful in so many aspects in my life. Everyone should run!

No comments:

Post a Comment