Saturday, August 30, 2014

Core Workout

Yesterday I ran ten miles. I did to break in new shoes. I don't have time to go slow breaking them in, so I figured a long run was the way to go. i have one blister on the ball of my foot, but I put some DoTerra Melelluca oil on it and didn't feel it at all when I woke up this morning. It's like it wasn't ever there!

I'm also quite pleased, my joints feel great (benefits of forefoot strike) and my calves aren't even hurting today. I had still planned to do my tempo run with Garren setting the pace, but it got to be 90 degrees and the only time we had left to do it was after the kids go to bed, but we can't very well both leave the house and leave the kids. So I decided to do my core work out today and then I'll do my tempo run on Monday morning since G has off.

So here's my core workout as per my marathon training program. I'm glad I'm finally getting over my irrational fear of my core splitting open :) There's a cycle. I'll first tell you what the exercises are called then I'll write the details about the.

Push ups- two
sideways hip dip, right arm- ten
triangle extension, right arm support- hold for ten seconds
plank- 30 seconds
push ups - two
sideways hip dip, left arm- ten
triangle extension, left arm- hold for ten seconds
plank- 30 seconds
push ups- two

Then repeat that two additional times.

Then:

Leg extensions, right leg- 30 seconds
leg extensions, left left- 30 seconds
abdomen tap- ten, five per hand
plank- 30 seconds

repeat till each has been done three times.

Then:

Vertical hip dip- ten on each sides three times.

Last:

Shoe lift- side to side ten times, front to hip ten times, arm extended upwards then down to should ten times
Repeat two more times.

And you pretty much are done with life after that. ;)

Push-ups- everyone knows what a push up is. I had my sister who recently went through basic training teach me a real push up. She had me put a tissue box under my stomach and told me to go down that far then back up. Yah. . . I crushed the tissue box. . . I'm improving.
Sideways hip dip- Support yourself on your right or left arm with your arm extended. Then extend your legs so your feet are kind of stacked on top of each other and your body is kind of triangle shaped. You let your hip fall and pick it back up to where your body is straight again only using your abdominal muscles. Yep, pretty sure this one will give me a hernia. Then you can switch and do it with your left arm supporting.
Plank- Support yourself on your toes and forearms. I have to clasp my hands together still. Not sure yet if that's counter productive or incorrect form, but I have to do it. For some reason it keeps me from wanting to scream, which usually comes around 23 seconds. :)
Triangle extension- When you are in your hip dip pose you just extend your other arm up and hold that position for 20 seconds or so. You need to keep your body aligned and straight and not allow your hips to dip.
Leg Extensions- Lie on your back and bring your knees up. Keep your shoulders down to the floor (this is important to keeping form). lift your hips as high as you can then extend right or left leg. hold that position for 30 seconds. Do not let your hips dip down. You must stay in a straight line from your shoulders to your toe. Then do it again with the other leg.
Abdomen tap- In push up position, tap your belly button alternating hands. Form is important on this one. You mus stay straight and not tilt to the supporting arm. You must stay in the same position as when both hands are placed on the grounds and supporting.
Vertical hip dip- lift one foot off the ground and allow that hip to fall below center. Then lift it back to be square with the other hip using only your abdominal muscles.
Shoe lift- Hold your shoes, one in each hand. Lift starting from hips going up no high than your shoulders, like a butterfly. Then for the front, extend your arms out to the front and lower your hands down to the hips. Then extend your arms as high as you can and lower them to your shoulders in just an up down motion. Do each of those ten times with three reps. The purpose of this is actually that when your muscles are flexed to hold the shoe it strengthens the muscles all the way down through to the top of your abdomen. It strengthens similar muscles to the ones you use in push ups. You don't need weight or heavy shoes as the point is not to build muscle but just to strengthen those muscles. Try doing those motions without the shoes in your hands and then again with the shoes in hand and you will feel that there is no muscles being worked simply by doing the motion. Your hands must be flexed.


Other change I made today, increasing berries and other water filled fruits like watermelon in the diet. It's a great way to stay hydrated. Your muscles actually absorb more of the liquid in berries and other fruits whereas water tends to go straight through you. So you can stay hydrated without having to go to the bathroom all the time :)

Happy Saturday!


No comments:

Post a Comment