Sunday, October 22, 2023

Sunday, October 22, 2023 (post for 10/16-10/22)

 This past week was busy with exams and school work, but it went way better than prior weeks. Monday I slept most of the day because I worked on Sunday night. I was floated to the CPCU that night. It should have been an easy night, but it was awful because I had THEE laziest nurses on earth. One had me hold up a 400lb pt for a skin check. While I did that they had a bowel movement. She looked at me and said, “You need to clean this up!” I looked at the girl standing next me and said, “Is she talking to me?” I could not believe her. Telling me to do that while Also holding up weight that should have had 4 people holding. Just insane. All of these experiences are just helping me to know what kind of a nurse I do not want to be. 

Monday afternoon and evening I spent my time studying for a lab exam. On Tuesday we had the lab exam and it was a bit of Sh*t show. My teacher tried to write her won questions and it ended up being a bit of a mess. So we got a lot of fudge points in the end (fudge points being points that the teachers give back to us because of errors on their part). I ended up with a 52.5/60, which is an 87.5%. May as well be 100%. That test was brutal. That one did, however, seal my fate. I am no longer capable of ending the semester with an A. I mean, it wasn’t that realistic anyway, because I would have had to get 100% on all the rest of the exams. However, there is some reassurance in knowing I don’t have to kill myself to try to make that A. Last semester I finished so close to an A and it made me so mad because I could have lightened up a little and got the same grade I ended up with. So now I know I can lighten up just a smidge, not kill myself trying to get an A. 

Tuesday afternoon I spent preparing for the Psych Hesi. Wednesday we had lecture. I spent the afternoon preparing for the psych exam and then I went to St Joseph’s to get my clinical badge. I drove a classmate, Ashlynn, as well. Thursday morning, my psych HESI wasn’t until noon. I was kind of nervous about that because I thought I’d spend the whole morning stewing about it then arrive a bundle of nerves. But I talked to my mom a lot that morning. For some reason I had it in my head that the day Cyndie was found was the 19th. But it was actually the 22nd. But I went that whole morning thinking it was the 19th. So I was all flustered about taking the psych exam on that day especially since she’s primarily the reason I hated psych. So I chatted with my mom about it and my mom said that Cyndie needed to feel my forgiveness and I needed to forgive her. She suggested I go to the cemetery, but it’s in the opposite direction as school, so I didn’t go. But I did take some to think and reflect and try to let her know that I was ready to move on from my bitter feelings.

I arrived to the testing center and we did the usual things to get ready. I sat in my usual seat with Nadia to my right and Sam to my left, Shannon to Sam’s left. That is where we all sit every time! We unwrapped our mints. We do this so it isn’t disruptive during the exam. Then we joking said our positive affirmations. There is one I can’t get right for the life of me. I say it wrong over and over until I finally realize it doesn’t sound right. I kept saying, “I do not control my mind, it controls me.” Then after saying that 6 times I thought, hmmm. . . Something doesn’t sound right about that. Then Sam pulls out the positive affirmations page they gave us in block 1. It says, “I control my mind and it will never control me.” Ha! Then we did the test. When I got to the end, I was one of three people left in the testing center. I hesitantly click “submit test.” I was very surprised to see this:

I got a 1062, which was equivalent to a 97.3%!!! (Still can’t get an A in the class though :( ). 
I was thrilled! Just ecstatic. I reviewed the ones I got wrong, then did the Next Gen practice questions they provided. Then I got up to leave and my teacher, Dr. Staggar, pulled me aside to congratulate me on my excellent score. He asked me what I did to prepare. I told him about my sister and told him how I think in having a moment with her that morning I was able to break down that block or that barrier that was preventing me from accessing all the information that I know I knew regarding psych. 

That was the very last thing I have to do for psych (other than the final exam). So I am thrilled to leave it with a bang!

Wednesday night I had to work. Before I left for work Miriam had finished the series, Supernatural, that I had introduced her to a few months ago. I sent her this meme because she tried to introduce my parents and her friend to it at the cabin:

Thursday night I worked CVPCU. It was a good night. Garren’s sister, Katie, wrote me and asked me if I’d be attending the family reunion next summer. I said, “Probably not.” The reunion is over the weekend one my 19th wedding anniversary. Also, the member of the family hosting it is outwardly “anti” on alternative lifestyles and I think it is not a safe place for many members of the Laymon family—possibly members of my own immediate family. So I said, no. But Garren thinks we should go. So, I told his sister it was over our anniversary so probably not. She explained that his siblings would be renting a “compound” style house for the Bob/Linda Laymon children. I said, now that I can do. If we are with Garren’s siblings for the majority of the time, that will be a safe place for my children and other members of the Laymon family. They plan to go to the beach, go to Disneyland, and then the reunion with extended family will just be one day. We’re really looking forward to it. I love how much my kids love their cousins and how well they get along. 

Friday I slept most of the day, then worked in the Monitor room that night. A coworker of mind was talking about cruises because she and her husband are getting older and getting to be “cruising age.” I told her Garren likes cruises, but I’m not the biggest fan. She told me a company called “Windstar Cruises” that does smaller cruises on ships with sails! I looked it up and it sounded amazing! So I told Garren about it yesterday and he said he would have fun, but I wouldn’t because they’re really choppy and I’d get super sea sick. I still want to try it one day, though. It sounded super fun.

Saturday Garren and I spent the afternoon/evening together. I had been neglecting some things, so he drove me around a bunch of places just to catch up on life. I had to go to the mall for my face lotion, Costco for some groceries, had to go to the distribution center for new garments (I kept calling it the dispensary. Whoops). Then we went out to dinner at YCs Mongolian Grill where I saw my high school friend, Greg Powell, And his wife. Cyndie loved YCs! I had forgotten about that until the end of our meal. I wouldn’t even have known what it was if it weren’t for Cyndie. She took me there all the time. There was one by where she lived on McClintock. It’s closed down now. Garren and I went to the one on Ray/Power. 

Anyway, that brings us to today. The kids and Garren are singing in church and Garren actually used a swear word or two to describe how it’s going to go. So I’m excited for that ;) I don’t work tonight, do the first Sunday in a long time! I start clinical tomorrow on Med/Surg at Chandler Regional. So I will spend some time this afternoon preparing for that. Then I’m going to make a meatloaf and potatoes with carrots and rolls dinner to celebrate not having to go to work! Ha!

I feel much better this week. I feel like psych is more the art of nursing and med/surg is more the science of nursing. And I think I don’t appreciate “the art of nursing” quite as much as the science aspect of it. So I am very glad to be starting med/surg!!

No comments:

Post a Comment