Friday, October 6, 2023

Flashback Friday to May 5, 2022–Miriam’s eye injury

 Sooooooo One time Miriam went to swim. I often stay and watch or do homework while she’s swimming. I had to work that night so I came in my scrubs and planned to go to
work right afterwards. Garren was going to pick her up from swim so I could go to work.

I was sitting on the bleachers doing homework, and all of a sudden I saw Miriam pull herself up out of the pool crying and I saw blood dripping down her face. It was everywhere! So much blood! So I ran her over to the first aid people. She was covering up her eye so I couldn’t see it really well. The first aid person soaked up some of the blood with some gauze and I could see it really well then. Her eye lid looked like when you tear a paper in half down the middle! I said, “I’m just going to take her to my hospital.” So we drove to Mt Vista which was about 1/4 mile from the pool. I couldn’t really look at it because it was making me queezy and I needed to be alert to answer questions. I asked if Dr. Parker, the pediatric plastic surgeon for our hospital, could be the one to fix her face. They called him in Phoenix and asked him to come. He is the best! 


A girl on her team jumped in the water and landed on her face. it looked like maybe her nose clip scraped up her nose then when through her eye lid. We were very lucky that it didn’t do any damage at all to her eye. 

So, Garren had joined us and I had to go to work. It was too late for me to call out. So Garren stayed with her while they stitched her up. I couldn’t even imagine the horror of it all because she had to get stitched up with her eyes open! And they couldn’t cover it up or anything., So she had to watch all of it!! Poor thing. I told my charge nurse I wanted to go down and check on her after I did my first rounds, and she let me. Then I brought Miriam and Garren up to the floor to show them where I work. After seeing Miriam my charge nurse told me I could go home. So that was nice. She stayed home from school the next day and I was able to be with her. 



I had to help her take a bath so she could keep her eye covered. So she bathed in her swim suit. Hee hee.
Dr. Parker did such a nice job with her eye. I am so happy with it. You can hardly tell at all. And the scrape on her nose didn’t leave a scar at all. 

Luckily, Miriam was not too traumatized by this event. She still swims and is great friends with the girl that hit her. And the eye looks great. You really have to look for it to see any scar. 

Sugar took good care of Miriam, too. Sugar is not the greatest dog we’ve ever had. . .  But she is a good friend. Whenever Miriam is sad Sugar is right there. When Miriam had her panic attack before the piano recital last week, Sugar would not leave her side. She’s a good dog. 

I think Miriam should get pink hair again. So fun! And so cute on her! But she colored all my towels pink. 

No comments:

Post a Comment