Monday, February 17, 2014

2/17

Today was so great! I was feeling a little discouraged on Saturday and feeling disappointed in myself. I would often leave the gym feeling the same as when I came in and frustrated that I hadn't pushed myself harder. But today I did it and with great results.

10K
Mile 1: 9:58
1/8 mile recovery
Mile 2: 10:45
1/8 mile recovery
Mile 3: 11:20
1/8 mile recovery
Mile 4: 10:20
1/2 mile recovery
Mile 5: only ran half because I drank a ton of water during my 1/2 mile recovery and ran half a mile in just under 5 minutes/vomit inducing speed. I didn't vomit, but I knew I would if I didn't stop. So I slowed down significantly, and then walked the rest.

But one HUGE thing happened today. When I was approaching mile 4, I was walking really fast during my "recovery" time and I thought, "If I can walk fast I can certainly run slow." So I started running slow instead of walking fast and I maintained that speed for a while feeling very warn out. And it ended up being my 10:20 mile! I thought I was going super slow and it felt like trudging through mud. So I think my recovery times should be slow running instead of walking and maybe I'll improve my speed as I go! I'll have to try that out on tomorrow's run.


One HUGE thing that kept me going was remembering something from a summer Olympics commercial for Nike. The Olympians in the commercial said, "I don't stop when I'm tired. I stop when I'm finished." So when I was approaching 3/4 of a mile and felt like I couldn't go on, I just said this to myself knowing that the mile mark was when I was done. Trying to get that Olympic spirit into my runs!! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment