Monday, January 23, 2023

Monday, January 23, 2023

 Block 1: Week one ✅

GCU Masters: Week two ✅

Starting week 2 of nursing school today. I’m sitting in my car as I have 25 minutes left before lab starts. My kids have to be dropped off at school by 7:20 and my school is near theirs. So, it doesn’t take long. I had hoped to write these entries every Sunday before starting the new week, but I forgot. It was Garren’s 43rd birthday yesterday. We made him a cake, I made him French toast for dinner—at his request— and then we went for a family walk. I also forgot to take a first day of school picture. Here’s a first day of the second week of school picture for you, whoever you are.


I forgot other things too. I imagine I’ll be doing a lot of forgetting things over the next few weeks. I forgot that metric measurements are on my quiz today. I thought I’d take this time to cram for that, but the Dreams by the Cranberries came on the radio, so I decided to just sit here and have a moment to myself. 

For some reason I have very little confidence in myself when it comes to school and education. I decided to try to get over that in this program and just try to remind myself that I am smart and I know things. So we’ll see how that goes when I go into this quiz and try to recall metric measurement conversions from when I did it in my chemistry classes. . .  two years ago. . . . 

This last week was crazy full of reading!! And I have an even crazier week coming up. Lots to do, lots to read. I have a group assignment in my masters class that is painful. . .  My group is not very responsive. One girl actually said, “Let’s do whatever is easiest so we can get the most points!” on a group chat that our teacher will be reading to see about group participation. 

In my core classes we have talked about vital signs and then basic CNA review (changing linens in the bed, bed pan, teeth brushing, hand washing, PPE, etc). My teacher said, “bachelorette degree” instead of “baccalaureate degree” and that has kind of been haunting me. But, we’re all human. I’ve also been haunted by my own human-ness this week. At work I missed a serious heart rhythm on a patient. The nurse came in the monitor room and I brought it to her attention. She said the patient was agitated. So i let it go. I’m not blaming the nurse instead of myself, just stating the story line. I should have known enough to say something and push it, but I didn’t. And that’s on my. I am grateful for these experiences now as a CNA and a tech. Hopefully I will work out all this smaller things like not trusting my instinct, not knowing when to speak up, etc, and working all that out now. It’s also good to be in the field before practicing as a nurse because I have a lot of great teachers and mentors at work. They are always willing to teach me and answer questions. I never feel stupid bringing something up and asking for clarification. They are always willing to take a moment and teach me something new. They never treat me like they don’t have time to teach me even though I know they are very busy. I am forever grateful for my MT Vista family.

Time to get inside because I also forgot to go to the bathroom before I left the house. When I am stressed my memory is the first thing to go! I remembered to put on deodorant today, so I feel like I’m winning already! Everything else will fall into place. Maybe. . .  



No comments:

Post a Comment